Kogi Central Senator and Chairman, Senate Committee on Information and Communication Technology/Cybercrime, Senator Yakubu Oseni has begun distribution of laptops to schools in Kogi Central in fulfilment of his promise to improve efficient learning process in the area.
The first phase of the school empowerment programme which commenced today at Government Science Secondary School Otutu in Okene Local Government Area had over one hundred laptops distributed to 20 selected schools from the five local government areas of the constituency.
Senator Oseni while delivering his speech at the programme opined that the weapon of a prosperous society "is its quality of education" which could only be obtained through provision of state-of-the-art learning facilities, he however added that the computers were the property of the schools and not for personal use.
"If you recall during my campaign, I emphasized on the importance of qualitative education and empowerment of teachers to discharge their duties effectively in line with global best practice. It is a well known fact that the best empowerment one could give an individual to make positive lasting impact is education. Again, the prediction of a global village through ICT by Marshall McLuhan has already manifested and my people cannot be left behind.
"Fortunately, my constituents, upon resumption, I was appointed to head the Senate Committee on ICT/Cybercrime and today, the benefits of the office have started unfolding. I am here to distribute 100 pieces of Laptop to 20 selected schools across the five local government areas of Kogi Central. This is just the first phase of the distribution.
"I will not stop until all schools in Kogi Central have benefitted! I have said it in many forums that I will ensure you get what actually belongs to you," he assured.
However, one of the participants in the programme who pleaded anonymity observed that learning materials which were hitherto distributed in the previous administrations unfortunately found their ways into the hands of some unintended beneficiaries who later sold them against the purpose of its distribution. The source pleaded to the lawmaker to device means of monitoring the usage of the computers in order to bring erring schools to book.
Education stakeholders, traditional rulers and students who spoke at the occasion eulogised the gesture of Senator Yakubu Oseni, describing it as unprecedented especially as the empowerment programme is segmented in phases.
In her remarks, the host principal, Hajia Mrs Abdulsalawu commended the Distinguished Senator for his effort in making sure the school children had access to global learning facility that would expose them in learning and develop their capacity in the same way their counterparts in the advanced society.
Also speaking, representative of traditional rulers from Ogori/Magongo Local Government Area, Chief Patrick described Senator Oseni as a leader who has distinguished himself from the usual way of previous leaders by directing his empowerment on the area of education as against the buying of motorcycles for thugs, noting that the only empowerment that can transform life is one directed to education.
Below is the list of schools that benefited from this phase of empowerment:
1. Government Day Secondary School Anyava.
2 . Government Girls Secondary School Otutu Okene.
3. LGA FSP Secondary School, Inike Okene.
4. LGEA Demonstration Standard Secondary school, Onyukoko Okene.
5. LGA Government Day Secondary School Upogoro.
6. College of Arabic and Islamic School Okene (CAISSO) Okene.
7. Lenon memorial Secondary School, Ageva
8. Okehi Community Science Secondary School, Eyika-ohizenyi,
9. Ihima Community Science Secondary School, Obeiba- Ihima.
10. Community Secondary School, Obangede
11. Government Secondary School, Ebiya.
12. Government Science Secondary School, Adogo.
13. Comprehensive secondary school Ajaokuta.
14. Community Comprehensive High School, Ogori
15. Magongo Community Secondary School, Magongo
16. Community Secondary School, Adavi-Eba
17. Local Government Science Secondary School, Ozuri
18. Government Day Secondary School, Inoziomi
19. Local Government Science Secondary School, Nagazi-Eba
20. Science Secondary School Enyidudu, Adavi.